Welcome to Spitzer Industries!
Spitzer Industries, Inc., is a leader in the custom fabrication of specialized equipment and systems, pressure vessels and other weldments. The company specializes in engineered products for onshore/offshore oil and gas transmission, processing and production, subsea oil and gas tiebacks, ASME code pressure vessels, and other segments of the energy services industry. The company employs more than 800 people across three custom fabrication facilities in Houston, Texas. Well positioned to capitalize on the resurgence of the U.S. energy infrastructure and the rapidly growing needs of its customers, Spitzer is operationalizing plans to dramatically grow over the next five years. To that end, Spitzer is adding a Junior Controller to its accounting team.
SUMMARY OF JUNIOR CONTROLLER DUTIES
The ideal candidate will possess 1) the strategic, analytical and interpersonal skills necessary to support Spitzer’s management team for monitoring and reporting all project economics, 2) a demonstrated expertise in financial project management and percentage-of-completion (POC) accounting issues, and 3) experience in managing high-volume accounts payable and accounts receivable. The position is located at Spitzer’s Tanner Road location in Houston, Texas, and reports to the VP of the Tanner Division and the Operations Controller.
Candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Oversight and support of A/R and billing personnel to ensure timely and accurate invoicing of project milestone Billings and change orders in accordance with the customer contract.
- Oversight and support of A/P and personnel to ensure timely and accurate processing of invoicing and payments to vendors in accordance with customer terms.
- Manage journal entries, invoices, etc., and reconcile accounts for monthly and annual closing.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and forecasts.
- Assist with internal and external audit requests as needed, and participate in the preparation of the annual audit.
- Manage and support divisional project control personnel through effective oversight of the company’s project management and dashboard system(s)
- Work closely with division operations management in identifying and communicating project profitability matters on a real-time basis
- Work with project management, shop management and estimating personnel to accurately forecast project man-hours, revenues and costs in support of job tracking, dashboards and the POC accounting close.
- Work with estimating personnel to ensure accurate and consistent input of job estimates into job tracking and dashboard system(s)
- Work with project management and purchasing personnel to ensure that ongoing requisitioning and purchase of job-related costs are consistent with the job estimate(s)
- Support project management personnel in the identification and formulation of project change orders back to customers as supported by the customer contract.
- Support corporate and division accounting personnel with project information needed for monthly and quarterly financial reporting close.
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Accounting degree with 3+ years of experience in accounting and/or finance-related positions
- Proficiency in Excel and Access, with experience in Sage MAS200 a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work with personnel throughout the organization through both direct and indirect networks, and be a consensus builder and change agent
- Ability to support and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and assess priorities across businesses
- Ability to handle multiple priorities with minimal supervision under challenging conditions
- Strong orientation to leadership, teamwork and positive communication, and be an effective facilitator, teammate and manager
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills, and be comfortable and credible with both internal stakeholders and external audiences